Geckoboard Push API

Aug 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Based on my cursory knowledge of Wolfpack's Geckoboard support, it looks like polling is the only method supported.  Are there any plans to support the new Geckoboard Push API?  Would love to see this so that we don't have to publicly expose our metrics so that Geckoboard can poll them.

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Yup the current implementation is for polling. Having had a quick look at the docs it shouldn't be difficult to build a push plugin at all, it's fairly trivial. 

As I see it though the problem comes deciding what data should be pushed - you have all this alert data coming into Wolfpack,...how does it know what data and  widget data type to push? Configuration obviously...so we need a way of selecting logic to query the data and build the correct json data.

Which leads to the next question - the trigger for the push? As soon as an alert arrives I guess it should push the relevant data feed. I think that matching an alert to which data feeds it triggers is a significant problem but I'll put some thought into it this weekend. I am toying with the idea that the configuration is done in code as a drop in dll - it might be xml hell otherwise, still thinking...

So - great idea and thanks for suggesting it - a lot of Wolfpack features start life as such.

I'll post updates here and would welcome any discussion on the configuration side of things.

Cheers,

James