V3 wish list

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:26 PM
You had mentioned that this thread can be used as a V3 wishlist discussion.

It would be nice if I didn't have to rewrite my configuration files in order to use V3. For me it would be a lot of machines and a lot of config files to update. Is there any plan to make the old config files compatible with V3?
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Sure I understand the pain replicating v2 configuration in v3.

The short answer is I didn't have any plans to fix that - however I am in the middle of changing the configuration file format again (simplifying it) and one of the things I thought about was a conversion tool....and also a plugin to replicate configuration to agents eg: remotely push some/all config from one agent to one or many other agents.

A simple conversion tool from vX to vY could be created and I'll certainly take a look at that once I have the new config standard complete - so I would say if you are going to v3 wait until v3.1 is released with the new standard and hopefully I'll bundle a vX to v3.1 conversion tool with it.

Ideas welcome for a quick/bulk/remote config push plugin as mentioned above!

Cheers,
James
Sep 9, 2014 at 9:40 PM
I don't think the plugin to push would help. The machines that I'm using will not allow a push mechanism that doesn't involve custom wsus packages. The machines are also not visible to each other.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Wolfpack is a great program!
Coordinator
Sep 9, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Ok, sure - makes sense that machines are not visible. If it makes any difference the plugin would operate http over port 80 (or whatever port you wanted).

So - a simple upgrade/conversion tool bundled with Wolfpack would do the job it sounds like to solve the immediate requirement. I'll add it to the TODO list!

Thanks!
James