Infromation Storage

Jul 17, 2014 at 1:57 PM
HI,

Very great job on this monitoring system and I am very happy with the test I am doing. So congrats.

The only issue I have is that I do not understand where the previous alerts are stored.
Every time I start the debugger I have two "notepad" alert from this morning but the new alerts generated are not stored (however config is kept)

Can you point me to where the alerts are stored.
Is it possible to store the in a SQL server ? I read that it is but can you give me a hint on how to do it ?

Thanks in advance.

Bruno
Coordinator
Jul 17, 2014 at 2:40 PM
Hi Bruno, thanks for the kind words, always nice to hear the software is appreciated!

So...the default install of Wolfpack does not come pre-configured to store notifications. Notifications are purely transient things (the exception is the Activity page, this has an ActivityTracker component that acts like an in-memory store of notifications...it keeps track of the last 20 notifications and that it what powers the Activity UI page).

However (as you mention) it is possible to store these Notifications by configuring a special type of "Publisher". There are currently two database publishers that Wolfpack supports as a "Notification Repository" (v3 now has a repository layer so that it can interact (read & write) with stored Notifications).

The core install comes with a SQL publisher (based on Entity Framework) and there is a contrib publisher based on MongoDb.

To enable the SQL publisher, go to the Configuration screen and the "SqlServer" tag should give you a "SqlPublisher" component. Click create and then save (the default settings should work fine).

The "ConnectionName" config property is "Wolfpackv3" - if you go to your install folder and look in the Config subfolder there is a "data.connection.config" file with a connection string for "Wolfpackv3" - you can modify this to point to a full SqlServer, by default it will create a localdb instance though. Modify the connection string as required then Accept the configuration change and it should now start storing notifications in the database.

HTH!

PS: I have created a stub "HowTo" article covering these instructions and will fill it out ASAP.