PublishOnlyIfFailure

Apr 18, 2014 at 1:18 AM
I notice this configuration in some of your components, so I tried to use it in one of mine. Is that a parameter I have to handle in my own components, or is that something that is read/implemented by the wolfpack framework?

I added it and set it to true in my check component and it still seems to send out an email every hour, no matter what.

Thanks,

Ron
Coordinator
Apr 19, 2014 at 8:06 AM
Hi,

In v2.x this is a feature that was added to individual checks as required so it's not something in the framework. However there is a feature called Result Publisher Filters that could help you out. You can put a filter in front of a publisher (eg your email publisher) and set it to only publish if the result is failed. The config\filter.castle.config file has a couple of example filters installed - just customise these to target your email publisher and the friendly name of the check (or * for all) that you want to only receive emails for if it fails.

In v3 (and after a lot of feedback about how notifications work) I have added formal support for controlling and shaping notifications via the new Notification Hub feature. All v3 checks that come built into Wolfpack core support Notification Hub and I have exposed framework interfaces to allow your custom checks to hook into this and also create additional "Notification Filters"...plug-ins to the hub that can contain any logic you wish to control the flow of notifications to the publishers....eg: mute notifications on Christmas day! When you configure a v3 check in the UI you just set the NotificationMode property to the style of notification you want, simple as that.

v3 will go live in the next week so hopefully you can start to evaluate and leverage these new features!

J
Apr 21, 2014 at 3:36 PM
Thank you J! I appreciate the thorough response.

I'm looking forward to v3 next week, it really sounds like it's gonna a nice big step forward!