Host URL Ping check to look for content on page

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:34 PM
So, I just started using Wolfpack yesterday and I am a big fan, now. However, there is something that I wanted, that I am thinking that I am missing, because I doubt that I am the first.

I wanted to be able to look for the existence of particular string indicated in a urlping.castle.config parameter returned from the URL I was checking. I see that this would be relatively easy to do in the UrlPingCheck.cs by just looking to see if my requested test string was in the downloaded response.

This way if the website was responding, but not with valid content I could get a failure.

Is this a new feature request?

Looking forward to v3!
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Welcome!

Ok - I understand your requirement - it's a pretty obvious one but surprisingly you are the first to ask for it!

Should be a simple feature to add to the check - I will add support for this in v3. Would a RegEx string be more useful that just a plain search string?

If you are using the v2.x source then we can do a quick code fix in there too if you can't wait for v3 but would rather concentrate on v3 at the moment. The v3 UrlPing is much more powerful than before - it supports calling Data API web methods (pretending to be an AJAX client) and you can pass custom headers and credentials too.

Cheers - let me know about the regex/search string and I can add this in ASAP, I'll also create an item in the Issue Tracker to capture the change.

James
Mar 27, 2013 at 1:30 PM
A RegEx would be perfect. Go ahead and concentrate on getting it into 3.

Thanks so much!
Mar 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM
A RegEx would be perfect. Go ahead and concentrate on getting it into 3.

Thanks so much!
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Ok just added the Regex content check - its in the latest check-in for the v3 source.

V3 isn't far off, I'm just porting all the contrib plugins to v3 - only a few to go!