SMTP Publisher

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:14 PM
Edited Jul 16, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I not found SMTP publisher in wolfpack roadmap. I think the send failures by e-mail will be very useful thing.

What you think about it?

Jul 17, 2011 at 6:01 AM
Edited Jul 17, 2011 at 6:03 AM

E-mail publisher is available here: http://wolfpackcontrib.codeplex.com/

Coordinator
Jul 17, 2011 at 7:56 AM

Hi, great....you found the email publisher (& thanks for taking the time to update this thread)

I've improved the docs to provide a link to the contrib project from the home, healthcheck and publisher pages so hopefully this is more prominent and helps people discover these cool contributions.

Feedback and suggestions for Wolfpack are always welcome...if Wolfpack is missing that magic plugin/feature then please drop me a suggestion via these discussion pages and let's kick the tyres on it and get it on the roadmap....depending upon the size/complexity of the request I can usually just do it and get a build out pretty quick.

Cheers,

James

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:22 AM
Edited Jul 17, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Thank for your response.

I tested e-mail publisher and now have some suggestions:

1) In my opinion e-mail publisher should be part of the core functionality of Wolfpack.

2) It will be useful to add example of e-mail publisher configuration. And installation instruction with simple templates and images (embedded to e-mail message).

3) E-mail publisher does not have error logging. In order to find the e-mail problem I had to modify the publisher sources:

public class EmailHealthCheckResultPublisher
public void Publish(HealthCheckResult message)
{
try
{
}
catch (Exception e)
  {
     Logger.Error(e.ToString()); // added logging
   }
}

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2011 at 6:36 AM

Alex - thanks for the feedback about the email publisher.

As it's contrib project code I'll have a chat with Rob and see if he's happy it gets shifted into the core. 

More importantly (irrespective of location) is better examples and some docs for it. I can add these (with Rob's help) to the Publishers page....I'll post back here with an update once we've got something.

Re: exception handling - there are some base classes kicking about (PublisherBase) that could be modified to include some sort of sandbox try/catch for a publisher if it were to inherit from it. Whilst not bulletproof (you don't have to inherit from it) it would do the job.

Cheers,

James